CALL FOR PARTICIPATION
(application deadline: September 1, 1998)
WHAT IS THE DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM?The ICLS '98 Doctoral Consortium provides an opportunity for Ph.D. students in fields related to the Learning Sciences to share their current dissertation work-in-progress with their peers and faculty selected from across our field. Consortium participation is open only to Ph.D. candidates who have successfully completed their dissertation proposal.
The consortium has several objectives:
- to provide a setting for feedback on participants' current research and guidance on future research directions
- to develop a supportive community of scholars in the Learning Sciences and a spirit of collaborative research across institutions
- to contribute to the conference experience of participating students through interaction with other participants and key leaders
WHEN IS THE DOCTORAL CONSORTIUM?The Doctoral Consortium will be conducted in a workshop format, held during the day and a half prior to the start of the ICLS conference. Consortium activities will begin with a welcome dinner/reception on the evening of Monday, December 14. Presentations and discussions will be all day Tuesday, December 15th, and the morning of Wednesday, December 16th.
WHO ARE THE CONSORTIUM FACULTY?Faculty participating in the Consortium will include (subject to change):
- John Bransford, Vanderbilt University
- Barry Fishman, University of Michigan (Co-Chair)
- Jan Hawkins, Education Development Centers
- Janet Kolodner, Georgia Institute of Technology (Co-Chair)
- Mitchel Resnick, MIT Media Lab
SUPPORT FOR THE DOCTORAL CONSORTIUMAlthough funding plans are still tentative at this date, we hope to be able to provide the following support for participating graduate students:
- complimentary conference registration fees
- small housing stipend (for out-of-town participants)
- small travel stipend (for out-of-town participants)
- most meals during the Doctoral Consortium
HOW TO APPLY TO THE DOCTORAL CONSORTIUMParticipants for the Doctoral Consortium will be selected from among those who apply on the basis of their anticipated ability to contribute to the workshop goals. Emphasis will be placed on forming a diverse group of high-quality students. An effort will be made to keep the participating group small to encourage informal interaction. To apply, please submit six STAPLED copies of the following materials:
Please send the six STAPLED copies of your materials to: Applications submitted via e-mail or fax will not be acceptable. Note that the building name and suite number are essential in the address. DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION IS September 1, 1998. Applicants will be notified of their acceptance status via e-mail.
- a cover sheet with your name, title of your disseration, your advisor's name, your institution, your full postal address, phone numbers, fax number, and e-mail address (this is very important).
- a 2-page summary of your thesis work, in the format specified by the ICLS '98 general submission guidelines for ICLS papers. (On-line information about these guidelines may be found at http://www.aace.org/conf/icls/guidelines.htm). The 2-page summaries of those invited to the symposium may be published in the ICLS proceedings exactly as they are submitted. Therefore, please submit camera-ready copy in your application, as there will be no time to allow revisions to be made if we decide to include summaries in the proceedings.
- a letter of recommendation from your thesis advisor. This must include an assessment of the current status of your work, and an expected date for thesis completion.
QUESTIONS OR MORE INFORMATIONIf you have questions about the Doctoral Consortium, please e-mail Barry Fishman at email@example.com or Janet Kolodner at firstname.lastname@example.org. This event is being run in conjunction with ICLS '98.
ICLS Doctoral Consortium Co-Chairs:
Barry Fishman, the University of Michigan
Janet Kolodner, Georgia Institute of Technology
|Conference dates: December 15-19, 1998|
|Conference location: Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, Georgia, USA|
|Conference web page: https://www.cc.gatech.edu/con ferences/icls98/|
|For further information, please contact:
College of Computing
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0280
Phone: (404) 894-3285
Fax: (404) 894-9846